World of Tanks: Easily the best (and most frustrating) tank-based online game.
Just a quick note about the title: When I say “best online game”, I actually mean the only online game I put time and effort on, and when I say frustrating, I mean it tries to fuck with you until the end of time (or until you get a badass tank).
For a little intro, here’s a quote I CTRL+C and CTRL+V’d from onlinegamesforyou.com
World of Tanks is a team-based, free download, massively multiplayer online action game dedicated to armored warfare featuring historically accurate fighting vehicles from the 1930s to the 1950s
Anyway, the first time I heard about this game was when I was browsing Metacritic looking for games to play. I had a look at all games with a rating of 80 and above, and there I’ve met WoT. It immediately passed my “online game test” even without me playing it. And since I have the best criteria in the whole world when it comes to online games, here it is to share:
- A lot like Company of Heroes.
- Company of Heroes with all unnecessary bullshit removed.
- A shitload of tanks. In a map. Bashing the fuck out of each other.
- Totally not full of teenage dicks.
- Absolutely no sign of a child playing it.
- Does not involve killing monsters over and over again.
- NO FUCKING CHILDREN PLAYING IT. Seriously. I fucking hate it when children on online games trashfuckingtalk other people. And no, I’m not a child-ist (I say the word exists).
- Children not interested in playing it. It keeps them out. Nuff said.
- A huge selection of tanks. Despite that, choosing isn’t difficult since you have to go through the tech tree to get something you want. If what you want isn’t at the very bottom (highest tier), you can stop where you want to and use that tank for the rest of your life.
- The game mechanics ROCK. You can’t just run, point, and shoot. There’s a lot of stuff involved in getting a kill, and even then, getting a kill isn’t entirely necessary. You just have to contribute something to the team and try to not get yourself killed. There’s a lot to mention, but it wont fit here. Have a look at the page instead.
- A lot of people say it has decent graphics. I can’t comment on that since I don’t have a machine that can handle the game at above medium graphics settings.
- I love tanks.
- Matchmaking sucks (matchmaking chart here). Well, not completely, considering the fact that you get raped by it when you’re between Tier 4 and Tier 8 which is where you obviously spend more time on. Take the tank destroyers, for example. Tank destroyers are supposed to inflict massive damages to the enemy, with the slight disadvantage of having no turret (limited gun traverse) and having paper armor. They work extremely well — when put in matches similar to their tier. When put in higher tier matches, good luck. It does, however, teach us tank destroyer players a lot of survival skills.
- You don’t get to play with a lot of your friends. You can play with a friend in platoon mode, but if you want to play with more than just 1 friend, you have to pay real life money for that. Sort of a deal breaker for people playing with a lot of friends.
- Given the above, cooperating with completely random strangers is a bit hard.
- And by random strangers I mean a lot of complete idiots. Check here for some of my games that lost epicly.
- World of Tanks crowned Best European Online Game (massively.joystiq.com)